Epargne 3 account
With the Epargne 3, you can accumulate capital allowing you to maintain your standard of living in retirement. Benefit from the substantial and immediate tax advantages granted to a 3rd pillar*.
An Epargne 3 account to plan aheadThe 1st and 2nd pillars are not always enough to maintain a pre-retirement standard of living. The Epargne 3 account enables you to accumulate the required capital while benefiting from the substantial and immediate tax advantages that are granted to a 3rd pillar*.
You can deduct the annual amount paid into your Epargne 3 account from your taxable income.
An Epargne 3 account to reduce your tax liability
The Epargne 3 account is exempt from tax (on wealth, income and from withholding tax on interest) during the capitalisation period. A specific tax, modest in comparison to the savings realised, is charged on release of the account.
Every five years, you have the opportunity to free your Epargne 3 assets to finance your main residence or to pay off the mortgage on it. Tax-wise, the deferred repayment of a mortgage is very advantageous: the amount of the repayment is not paid directly to the bank, but is accumulated in your Epargne 3 account. This means that in terms of your income and capital you benefit as much from the tax advantage of the Epargne 3 account as from the deduction of the mortgage debt.
An Epargne 3 account to invest
Your Epargne 3 account can also enable you to buy 2nd pillar contributions.
Your Epargne 3 account can be released to enable you to set up business on your own. Then, with self-employed status, you can once again contribute to the 3rd Pillar to build up your retirement pension.
Epargne 3 savings can be managed in one of two ways:
Two management options
- BCGE savings account with an attractive rate which benefits from a Geneva State guarantee up to CHF 500,000 per person
- a pension fund savings plan enabling you to invest all or part of your savings in the investment funds of the Synchrony LPP Funds umbrella in order to take advantage of higher long-term yield prospects
In addition, thanks to the Avantage Service loyalty programme, your Epargne 3 account earns you interest bonuses on your BCGE Epargne account each year.
Avantage Service loyalty programme
* In accordance with the provisions of the ordinance of 13 November 1985 on tax-admissible deductions for contributions paid to recognised forms of pension plan products (OPP 3).
An account for employees and the self-employedThe Epargne 3 account is designed for employees and independent professionals who are subject to income tax, aged 18 and above, up to a maximum of the normal AVS (state pension plan) retirement age. The benefits of the Epargne 3 account are maintained in the event of ongoing paid employment and up to the age of 70.
The assets deposited in Epargne 3 are accessible under the following conditions :
- You have reached the normal age for withdrawal from the AVS or at the earliest 5 years before you retire
- You become self-employed or you change your self-employed income source activity (in the 1st year only)
- You leave Switzerland definitively (for non-residents, when you cease all paid employment in Switzerland)
- You receive a full federal incapacity benefit (AI) pension
- You wish to finance your main residence
- You wish to pay off a mortgage on your main residence
In the event of death, your capital is protected and paid out to the beneficiaries in accordance with the law; it does not form part of your estate.
Epargne 3 assets cannot be seized so long as they remain invested within the framework of the associated 3rd pillar.